The L-4 was first introduced in 1911 as an acoustic rhythm guitar with an oval sound hole. The L-4 was developed as a louder, bolder update of Gibson’s popular L-1 and L-3 designs, advertised as a “grand concert size” model with 20 frets, one more than its predecessors. The L-4’s top changed radically in 1935 when, under the direction of the company’s famed designer Lloyd Loar, the round sound hole was replaced by a pair of f-holes to enhance tone and projection. During the ‘40s, many elements were added including crown peg-heads and parallelogram inlays on its fingerboard, but the biggest innovation in the guitar’s design came in 1949 with electrification.
This is a fine example of the emotional bond that exists between a guitar player and his instrument. One of the past owners had his initials painted on the guitar with a nice scenery. Who this person was is lost in time but the beauty of the guitar is still impressive. This guitar came from Arlen Roth’s guitar collection.
Drop us a line